Sunday, June 12, 2011

Following the Birth Day

Today is my oldest niece’s birthday. Back then, we didn’t know if my sister was having a girl or boy until Leasa arrived late that Thursday night. The next day, my daddy took me exactly where I wanted to go!

Before visiting my sister and Leasa, we parked at the hospital and Mother went on upstairs, but Daddy & I walked to my favorite toy store, Toy World. To this day, some forty plus years later, I clearly remember our handholding stroll down Gaston Avenue. I was on a mission to buy Leasa her first doll: a Raggedy Ann.

(I love e-bay!)

I was almost sixteen at the time, and I’ve almost always held my daddy’s hand whenever I’ve had the opportunity. It’s a blessed time for me. 
I haven't a clue why I had such a mindset to get Leasa a Raggedy Ann. It became a tradition I continued a couple of years later with my second niece, Leslie. She was born on a Friday night, so the next day I entered another Toy World store!
NOTE: During the interim, I also wanted my own Raggedy Ann. My loving parents gave me (for my sweet-sixteen) a LARGE Raggedy Ann. She’s about four feet tall… and lives in Dallas. I’ll have to get a picture of her & post an update the next time we are in the city!
Indeed, Raggedy Ann is the ultimate soft-cloth doll. I had never thought about researching the history behind Raggedy Ann until this morning! A true ~ Made in America ~ doll, she’s been with us since 1915. At age 38, Johnny Gruelle – a renowned artist, illustrator, and writer – introduced to the world his “whimsical design” creation, and the rest is history! Read his full story here

Has a Raggedy Ann or Andy doll ever been among your treasures?

3 comments:

  1. WHAT LOVING MEMORIES FROM A LOVING A SPECIAL AUNT AND MY SISTER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew this story! What a fun memory. Love you Leasa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I'd shared this with you a long time ago! It is a fun memory!

      I love you, too!

      Delete